Friday, April 22, 2011

DAY ONE HUNDRED TWELVE

Day 112/365: An Apple a Day

Keeps the doctor away. :) I picked up 3 of these cute baby apples at the store the other day. I didn't even know they had baby apples. haha

The other day I scored Joe McNally's The Moment It Clicks and The Hot Shoe Diaries from Borders for 40% off each. Tonight, I wanted to create a shot using his technique. Up until now, I've mostly shot in Manual mode. It wasn't a pride thing. "Oh I only shoot in Manual!" I was forcing myself to learn how to control all the settings of my camera for myself and to be able to guess a starting exposure. McNally says that his camera is mostly in Aperture Priority mode 90% of the time and other professional photographers have told me the same. He said having your camera in Manual all the time is like having a Ferrari and driving like Miss Daisy. I'm paraphrasing of course but it was something to that effect.

So tonight, I put his techniques to work. To get this shot, I put my camera in Aperture Priority mode and connected my flash to the camera using my SC-29 sync cable. I shot the first few shots moving around the apple and firing the speedlight from my hand to see which photos would create the shadows I liked the best. Then I positioned the speedlight on my light stand and secured it with a ball bungee cord and adjusted the exposure compensation to my liking. Next I turned off all the lights, grabbed a cup of water, and made a mess of my floor. At least I got a good shot out of it.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Strobist Info:
- SB-600, 50mm, diffused with homemade stofen diffuser, camera left, 3 feet high, positioned downwards at the apple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation but please, let's keep it clean and friendly. :)