Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eye Fi Wi-Fi Memory Cards

Have you heard about the Eye-Fi Wi-Fi memory cards?  If not, the name explains it all.  These little SDHC cards have built-in wifi which allow you to upload photos from your camera straight to your computer.  There are several cards from 2 GB to 8GB which have different features.  I own the one pictured to the left and I must tell you I love it!

I've known about the technology for a while but didn't jump right on it because truthfully, I considered it for lazy people.  I thought how lazy can a person be if they don't want to take an SDHC card out of their camera and put in the computer which takes all of about 10 seconds.  Then I thought about the numerous times that I've left my cards in the SDHC card slot on my laptop and pulled out my camera to take a shot only to see "No SD card inserted" flashing on the back on the display and missing a great photo opportunity.

Now I don't have to worry about missing out again unless I forget to charge the battery which is another story.  Setting up the Eye-Fi card takes no time at all.  However, the first time I set it up, I went thru the entire setup process and it didn't recognize my account.  I think this was due to an Adobe AIR update that happened in the middle of setup.  Now that it's all set up, I just shoot my pictures, take my camera back home, turn it on, and let it upload all the pictures for me.  Well, that's how it works for most people anyway.  I have a Nikon D40 which has special power requirements I have to set on my camera before the upload begins.

The Explore X2 card only uploads JPEGs, not RAW files but the Pro X2 uploads RAW files.  You can also upload to social networking sites and sites to print your photos.  It offers geotagging, uploads pictures to the folder of your choice, offers subfolder options, and email notifications of uploads just to name a few of its features.

Overall, I give the Eye-Fi WiFi memory card 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation but please, let's keep it clean and friendly. :)