Saturday, January 1, 2011

DAY ONE

Day 1/365 [01-01-2011]: Toast Life

Happy New Year everyone! Today is the official start day of my 365 project! I am very excited about this project but I am also very nervous. I know how hard it is for me to continue to do the same thing every single day other than what's absolutely necessary. I know how sometimes I just want to stop doing something when things get tough. I know how critical I can be on myself. But I also know that I can do whatever I set my mind to. I also know that I've pushed myself through some tough situations and I can do it again. And I also know that while I have had my D-SLR for almost two years, I really didn't have a lot of time to devote to photography until now and I can't expect to come straight out of the gate as a professional. So I'm going to take this journey one step at a time.

This morning when the new year came in, I had a glass of Korbel champagne and decided that would be my subject. I stayed up past 2 am in the morning to post process and upload.

To practice lighting, I followed a tutorial by Nick Wheeler called Light up the Floor - A Floor Lit Table Top Studio Project.

I didn't have everything that Nick had in his tutorial so I improvised a bit.

Stobist Info:
The glass is sitting on a glass table that has a cardboard box underneath. Inside the cardboard box is my SB-600 set to 85mm at 1/64 fitted with a snoot and fired using a 1/8" cable. A black felt piece is on the back side of the box to create the reflection. The black background is about 3 feet behind the glass. I used two lamps with daylight balanced bulbs and diffused the light using a white trash bag that I cut in half to place each piece over the light.

I did lots of dust removal in Photoshop and I also used a Selective Color layer mask to darken the blacks.

Thanks to Nick Wheeler for the tutorial and thanks to my friends, family, Facebook fam, and Flickr family for supporting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation but please, let's keep it clean and friendly. :)